Mybiked.com is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. However, our editorial content is not influenced by the commission. Learn More.
The stain busting technique fit for all kinds of grease. To remove grease from cloth pretreat the spot along with absorbing powder, before keeping the garments in hot water rinse well and do the same thing again and again.
To remove difficult grease stains, use baking soda paste as well as grease fighting dish soap instead.
The bike chain left the grease mark on your pants; you spilled a bottle of baby oil for toddler’s laundry.
Pre-Treating the Stain
Sprinkle grease along with the powder. After that, you have the option to use talcum powder, baby powder, cornstarch or baking powder.
Cover up the grease spot totally, do not skimp. The powder starts to absorb grease.
Keep the grease sometimes and let it gives half an hour to absorb well.
If you see more grease, use a pat to remove the grease then cover it with powder.
Brush away the power or use a soft brush to clean it. Swift strokes, short or brush powder from the helmet from the stained area of the fabric.
Please do not use a hard brush to clean it as it may damage the fabric of your helmet. Use a basting brush or a soft brush to do the work.
After brushing away powder from the area, look at the affected area. Are you looking more wet grease? If it is wet still do the same thing again and again.
Removing Grease Stains from Delicate Fabrics
Use vinegar or cornstarch on suede. On every step of doing work, treat suede very well as it may damage helmet easily.
Pour cornstarch on the grease spot and wait for half an hour to absorb the grease. Then use a suede brush to brush it off or remove the stain.
Dab a piece of microfiber cloth or lint-free cloth into white vinegar. Rub the grease area well until the grease is removed fully.
Keep it for sometimes to make it dry, after that use the lint brush to remove the suede.
Use dish detergent or baby power on silk. Over silk grease, stains may not remove.
But dish detergent or the baby power is great to remove the stain from the silk. Soak up grease with the baby powder for half an hour and finally brush it off.
Rub dish detergent to remove the grease spot. Wait for half an hour and wash it well.
Dry the garment on a hanger
Take leather and satin to an expert cleaner. They are more prone to destroy or damage home solution that the other fabrics.
It may be best to take them straight to the dry cleaners. They remove grease from the helmet.
Serious Cleaning, for Serious Stains
We bikers need to be inventive and using bikes for many years. We like to remove grease out of glove or shorts in various ways.
Some work well. Some are not perfect for all fabrics or all people. There are some cleaners of the last resort, attempt before tossing the garments.
To clean the skin or keep the cloth stain free, mechanics use some types of powerful soaps.
In this soaps, there is oxy type cleaners, pine oil, orange oil other chemicals which are very useful to remove grease.
- Most of the mechanic’s soaps are made for washing hand. It is very harsh. So people like to wear gloves before using it.
- To use the soap follow the steps accordingly for desired brands
- You may spot treat bad stains twenty or before washing it within the machine.
- Safety fabric stops over a hidden spot to make it sure that the soap would not destroy the fabrics.
Mechanics use soap as a regular washer to clean the helmet. Some others are great to wash hands.
Be trustful to any of the housemates if you like to use soap in the washing machine. Use a lad with the scoop of baking soap to eliminate the traces of smell.
Most of the high school or college level students use paint thinner or turpentine to remove oil from painting clothes. All of we are aware how great they are to use. People also like to use it for bike grease.
- In a good ventilated room or out of the door space make rubber gloves, a glass bowl and paint thinner or turpentine.
- Keep some thinner in a bowl and start your work with the fabric. You may also use a clean old toothbrush to remove the stain from it.
- Use gloves
- The stain will remove gradually in most cases. Now your work is to remove turpentine.
- Store well on leftover turpentine
- Use garments to dry it. It may lose the smell of chemical
- Wash your garments with soapy water. You should use a bucket and change water now and then.
- Then wash your garments with the same procedure
We hope that the procedure will help to remove the stain. It is common that grease will come in contact with the stuff now and then if you ride on the bike. Removing grease from the garments is not at all a difficult task.
The Heat Blast Method
You need one clean toothbrush and a piece of clean cloth to wash it. Soap must be color free, or it may be white otherwise, your cloth may absorb dye.
You have the option to use laundry soap or a spot treatment type of soap or dish soap.
- Rinse it with lukewarm water to make it clean
- Plunge the stained garments in hot water, nearly boiling water up to twenty minutes.
- The step aids to remove the worst grease. Take the soap, brush carefully and rub over gently on the stain. Then use more soap. Again and again use the heat treatment.
- You can stick the whole thing in a large pan and then simmer it in a pan. When the garments do not receive heat, use warm water and then do not simmer.
- You can do the same thing again and again as more as you like.
How to get bike grease out of shoes
You should better use a degreaser. Only this can ensure that the lube comes out. Dry lube is best for a dusty or dry condition. Chain lubricant is made to keep on whatever throughout many states.
If you add dry lube on your shoes, it will gradually remove after several washes. Wet lube is used for the muddy and wet condition. Therefore you can’t remove it with water and soap only.
Semi-dry lube is made for many times use. It is excellent with mud and water. This lube is better for sand and dust.
So you need a degreaser. Wax lubes need boiling in soapy water. Then wear a pair of shoes or boots if you don’t care more. This isn’t a good idea to use Teflon based lube. It may not come out.